Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pass me the butter and cream, please!


If you are one of the three people who read this blog, you may have noticed that I have adopted a dietary lifestyle that does not shy away from saturated fat: my posts include photos of eggs fried in butter, coffee with 18% cream, and fried bacon. Here's another of Italian sausage, first grilled and then fried with onion in butter along with a side of boiled carrots, parsnips and a small potato, also covered in butter.

For some time now I have been reading in a number of places (Mark's Daily Apple is one of them; there are others listed on my profile) about the benefits of reducing carbohydrates (and the inflammation that comes with them, especially from grains) and increasing my intake of "good" fat. This includes saturated fat from dairy, meat, nut and olive oils. Here is a recent link to a story in the Edmonton Journal talking about a recent study debunking, or at least casting doubt, on the notion that saturated fats are all bad news and that they may in fact not be linked to cardiovascular disease. I don't profess to be an expert on this topic by any means. I am on the very early and steep portion of the learning curve with respect to nutrition, but I do believe that by severely reducing and/or eliminating my intake "Frankenoils" and turning back instead to real foods, and real fats (both of which were more common in years gone by) is providing me with health benefits.

3 comments:

  1. I did indeed notice. I sometimes wish you wouldn't post pics...I get hungry every time I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great journey so far! Btw, a steep learning curve would be one showing a rapid rate of learning (i.e., moving from little response (or learning) to a large response (or learning) with relatively few trials (as compared to a shallow learning curve). It's interesting that it's common usage means just the opposite!2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think (hope) that I am on the steep part in just the way you describe! I think I am in large part with excellent input from people like you, Aaron. Thanks for cluing me in.

    ReplyDelete